Rahul Pathak assists clients in developing and evaluating patent rights in the fields of chemistry and biochemistry. His practice includes patent prosecution and portfolio management, patent opinions, patent reexaminations and patent due diligence. Representative clients include startup companies, established companies, leading life science companies, academic institutions and investment firms in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, genomics/biologic, renewable biofuels and small molecule drug industries.
During his legal career of more than ten years, he has advised clients on developing and managing global patent portfolios for marketed pharmaceuticals and new chemical entities, conducting intellectual property due diligence for private and public investments in pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, and developing a patent portfolio of biofuels. Rahul holds a Ph.D. in chemistry and has extensive experience with small molecule pharmaceuticals, peptide pharmaceuticals, polypeptide pharmaceuticals, nucleic acid diagnostics, polypeptide biochemistry, structural biology and molecular biology.
Rahul was named to the Daily Journal
's 2009 list of Top 25 intellectual property portfolio managers in California – an annual list of the most highly regarded lawyers in the state who advise clients in the management of their IP portfolios or patent prosecutions.
Rahul is a co-author of “Biofuels: A (carbon) balanced act,” published in the San Diego Daily Transcript
- Representing a biotechnology startup company in the development and management of a patent portfolio related to nucleoside and non-nucleoside antiviral drugs.
- Assisting a renewable products company with patent prosecution strategy and portfolio development regarding renewable biofuels and renewable chemicals.
- Assisting a startup pharmaceutical company with patent prosecution and portfolio management relating to small molecule oncological drugs.
- Conducting successful ex parte reexaminations of patents related to a marketed small molecule pharmaceutical, a pharmaceutical drug candidate and a food product on behalf of the patent owners.
- Defending merged inter partes reexamination of a patent related to safety glass on behalf of the patent owner.
- Conducting inter partes reexamination of a patent related to a peptide therapeutic on behalf of a third party requester.
University of California, Berkeley, J.D., 1999Yale University, Molecular Biophysics & Biochemistry, summa cum laude,, 1991California Institute of Technology, Ph.D., Chemistry, 1997
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office