Squire Sanders Eyes Asia Pacific Expansion
5 August 2011
- Squire, Sanders & Dempsey, a top 25 global legal practice, is finalizing talks with the majority of the partners from the Western Australia firm that has operated under the Minter Ellison brand for more than two decades. Squire Sanders plans to expand into Australia and strengthen its presence in Asia Pacific, the fastest growing region in the world, by establishing a strong position in Western Australia.
Squire Sanders chair and global chief executive officer, James J. Maiwurm, said:
“The potential combination of Squire Sanders and partners from Minter Ellison Perth would add to our capabilities and developing practice in Asia, with Perth providing a key hub for services to the region’s growing economies.
“We are attracted to the Minter Ellison Perth partners because of their strong domestic practices and outstanding energy and resources component, which will complement and strengthen Squire Sanders’ existing practices and expertise.
“The enhanced practice will enable the combined firm to strengthen relationships with clients in Japan and China, where Squire Sanders has strong offices, and with clients and opportunities in Africa, and the rest of South East Asia.”
Squire Sanders was one of the first US-based law firms to open an office in Japan. The global legal practice also has offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong.
Current Minter Ellison Perth (and designate Squire Sanders Australia) managing partner John Poulsen said the possible Squire Sanders combination was a natural and strategic fit for many reasons:
- The number of overseas companies seeking to establish businesses in Western Australia or acquire interests in projects in Western Australia is increasing and Squire Sanders’ global platform provides greater market connectivity.
- More than 25 percent of the work of the firm’s Perth lawyers is cross border in the region.
- The international construction, major projects and arbitration skills of Squire Sanders will enhance the strong skills of the Perth partners and enable the firm to better serve our clients.
Squire Sanders’ tradition of strong domestic practices across the globe ensures that the Perth office will continue to provide a full range of services to clients in this market.
The Minter Ellison partnership will open its own office in Perth in October which will include some partners from the current Minter Ellison Perth office. The new Perth Squire Sanders office and Minter Ellison anticipate working collaboratively whenever possible for clients’ mutual benefit.
The combination is subject to a Squire Sanders partner vote expected to conclude in August.
“This is a fantastic opportunity for our lawyers and staff to be part of a global platform that enhances our strong domestic and international practice. This is the first recognition by a global law firm that Perth is a key hub serving the Asia-Pacific, one of the world’s most dynamic economies.”
About Squire Sanders
– Founded in 1890, Squire, Sanders & Dempsey has lawyers in 36 offices and 16 countries around the world, and since January 2011 has included the nearly 500 lawyers from leading UK legal practice Hammonds. With one of the strongest integrated global platforms and our longstanding "one-firm firm" philosophy, Squire Sanders provides seamless legal counsel worldwide.
Squire, Sanders & Dempsey refers to an international legal practice which operates worldwide through a number of separate legal entities. Please visit www.squiresanders.com for more information. Media contacts:
Paula Rogers, Minter Ellison Perth, Business Development Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org +61 8 9429 7444
Nicola Woodmass, Squire Sanders, Head of Communications, email@example.com, +44 0 121 222 3690
Drez Jennings, Squire Sanders Media Relations Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1.216.802.7301